Christmas season is well and truly here and as we approach one of the most wonderful days of the year it’s time to stop and ask ourselves what do you want to ‘give’ this season? It’s very easy to get caught up in what we want to ‘receive’ that we very often forget that the true beauty and satisfaction of this time is to help others and put a smile on their face!
While we all rush around to clean our homes for Christmas gatherings, buy and wrap those last remaining gifts, let’s all try and complete a Random Act of Kindness.
Remember “If you do good, you’ll feel good.”
1. Drop off a Christmas card and treats to your local fire, ambulance and/or police station.
2. Donate food to the local animal shelter.
3. Tape a candy cane on the letterbox with a Christmas note for the Postman.
4. Pay for the coffee/milkshake of the person standing behind you in the line.
5. Donate books you no longer read/need to the local kinder or doctor’s office.
6. Give the wheelie bin man a Christmas card with a scratchie enclosed.
7. Take flowers to a hospital and leave them with the staff for someone who is alone and has no family to visit them.
8. Compliment a stranger
9. Sing Christmas Carols at a nursing home.
10. Let the person who seems rushed cut in front of you
11. Be thoughtful – Did your co-worker have a bad day today? Bring them a coffee tomorrow morning.
12. Hold the door open for someone
13. Spread your skills – If you have a skill (photography, styling, cooking, website programming) and you know someone who has expressed an interest in what you do offer to teacher them what you know
14. Have something that your friend always compliments you on? Why not give it to her?
15. Offer to get groceries for your friend or relative who is stuck at home.
16. Donate clothes, shoes, and coats to the homeless
17. Reach out to a person who has made a difference in your life
18. Know someone who just had a baby or other major life event? – Bring a meal, offer to clean up their house or do a load of laundry for them.
19. Notice a kid being well-behaved? – Tell their parents how good they are while the kid is standing there.
20. Thank your co-workers for doing a good job, for getting extra supplies, for thinking ahead, for being easy to work with
Remember, you can be the change you want to see. We can do it together. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all. Stay safe!